WJ'55 Masthead Scouts Canada

Committee Minutes
February 8, 2005


  • Liam Morland
  • Ted Claxton
  • Bill Connor
  • Bill Lindsay
  • George Repar
  • Tony Roberts


  • Lou Cahill, OEB International


Ted opened the meeting at 19:03.

Scouts Canada's Participation

Tony's article was published in the February 2005 issue of the Leader Magazine. Ted has paid for five ads in the Leader at a price of $380 per insertion. These will start in March.

Ted has received no response from the International Commissioner. Ted has sent notice of the event to WOSM and has received no response.


The crests are now available via the web site. About $200 worth have been sold already.

Local Cooperation

Floral Clock

Bill C. reported that there has been great progress regarding the Floral Clock. Bill met with John Kernahan. The Niagara Parks Commission has agreed to plant the clock with fleur-de-lis and the Scouts Canada emblem. They will pay for the planting, a substantial contribution to the celebration.

Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce

Liam, Ted, and Bill L. met with Jennifer Cebado of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce. The Niagara Advance, a weekly paper, was suggested as a vehicle for local publicity. The editor is Penny Coles. Daily papers are the St. Catharines Standard and Niagara Falls Review. Their 2005 tourist guide is in production. Jennifer will see if adding the celebration to the events page is still possible.

Accommodation fills up quickly and September is a popular month. Attendees should book soon. A on-line directory of available spots is maintained by the Chamber on their web site.

The Chamber offered to mail information packages about the town to people who express an interest. They are willing to include information about the celebration as well. They are willing to place information cards about the event in their display. The Chamber would like to be kept up to date regarding the expected number of attendees.

Funding Opportunities

George has been working on a grant application for the Trillium Foundation. Applications are accepted four times a year. There is a 120 day waiting period before money becomes available. The next deadline is March 1. Grants should come from a corporate body. Ted will see if Scouts Canada is willing to officially sponsor the grant.


Tony met with Ron Dale and Bill L. to discuss the National Historic Monument. If an application is made soon, it should be in place for Scouting's Centenary in 2007 if approved. There would be no cost for this.

The plaque for this September would cost about $2000. Tony is working on a design and the English text. Bill L. has a contact at the Foster Hewitt Foundation. They may be interested in covering the cost of this.

Commemoration Event


Tony reported that the Scouts On Stamps Society International, Maple Leaf Chapter has agreed to produce a commemorative cover at cost. They also have a large collection of covers which they are willing to display. The Navy Hall may be a good place for this.

Ted reported that Ed Ermel has a large badge display and a tent for it. Ted will see if there is interest for a meeting of the Scout Memorabilia Collectors during the celebration. The Scout Brigade of Fort George has volunteered to feed a few WJ'55 volunteers at cost.

Ed Ermel also has two 78 LPs of CBC Radio broadcasts from the Jamboree. It was suggested that these be put on CD and sold. Mike Reid, a Scouter from Montreal and owner of a video production business, could do this. The Niagara Historical Society also has some CBC interviews that could be included on such a CD.

Commemoration Dinner

The committee discussed holding a commemoration dinner. The Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club has a very nice hall for 130 people. White Oaks, near the Welland Canal, is larger. Local wineries may also have facilities for catered dinners. Bill L. will investigate a dinner at the Golf Club.

A reception could be held in the Navy Hall or the market room in the old court house.

Communication Strategy

Liam reported that about 80 people have indicated their interest in the event via the web site. [A count after the meeting found that the number at the time of the meeting was 120.]

Bill C. and George will see if they can arrange for a notice of the event in the Niagara Region's tourist information publication.

Bill L. will arrange for a post office box in Niagara-on-the-Lake for the commemoration and will check it.

It was observed that the committee needs a person to work publicity contacts to build momentum for the event. Scouts Canada may have access to various media contacts through their Jennifer Austin, their public relations staff member.

Bill C. emphasized the importance of recognizing individuals and organizations that assist in making the event a success.


The meeting closed at 21:33. The next meeting will be Tuesday, March 8, 2005.

—Minutes by Liam Morland.

Powered by PHP PostgreSQL Powered