WJ'55 Masthead Scouts Canada

Committee Minutes
August 9, 2005


  • Ted Claxton, Co-Chair
  • Tony Roberts, Co-Chair
  • Liam Morland, Secretary
  • Al Agar
  • Lou Cahill, OEB International
  • Bill Connor
  • George Howse
  • Bill Lindsay
  • Willard Miller
  • George Repar
  • Ron Sacco
  • Kevin Windsor, Scout Brigade of Fort George


  • Doug Frazer


The meeting opened at 19:07. Introductions were made around the table.

Funding Opportunities

George R. reported on the grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. The grant is for $7500, about half of what was requested. The largest single item removed from the grant was the money for the secretarial support. George R. will attend a meeting about the grant on August 16. The Foundation wants to have its contribution recognized. Liam reported that their logo is now at the bottom of each page of the web site and they are recognized on the Thanks page.

The committee agreed that a few more thousands of dollars would help. George H. will contact the Niagara-on-the-Lake Lions' Club. Kevin suggested passing the hat for $1 each in the Scout Brigade camp.


Tony reported on the status of the monument. Matthews Casting made the best quote. In total, the plaque should cost just under the $2000 budget (covered by the Foster Hewitt Foundation).

Scouts Canada Registration

Ted reminded the committee to complete their Scouts Canada registration.

Niagara-on-the-Lake Sign

The sign advertising the Jamboree anniversary will be unveiled on Monday, August 15 at 10:00 at the corner of Queen Street and Mississauga Street in Niagara-on-the-Lake. The Lord Mayor will be present. Lou emphasized the importance of making the event colourful to attract the media. Bill C. will work with Lou on a media release. Ted and Tony will attend in uniform and will present an anniversary crest. All other committee members are invited to attend as well. Tony will contact the Niagara Area Commissioner about having a couple of youth members attend.

Communication Strategy

There have been several newspaper articles published about the Jamboree celebration. There have been articles about the Japanese visitors, the Floral Clock, and an interview with Tony. Eddie Chau of Niagara this Week has interviewed Tony and will interview Bill C. A story is also anticipated in the St. Catharines Standard.

Stephen Murdoch of OEB International put out a press release about the event.

Bill C. has been in touch with Darryl Day of Cogeco TV. They will do a story featuring current interviews and clips from the WJ'55 film. This will air in early September.

Lou suggested opening a media office in Niagara Falls BP House. This could be staffed by a volunteer, perhaps from the Niagara College Journalism School, who would answer questions over the phone.

There will be an on-site media desk at the unveiling. Ted has arranged for the Central Escarpment Council's display to form the backdrop for this. The committee hopes to put the media desk near the entrance to Fort George and will clear the location with Ron Dale.

Liam and George R. will put together a media kit. It will include a copy of the program, background information about Scouting, a CJ'07 brochure, and a copy of the DVD.

The budget includes money for advertising.


Ted reported that Jane Graham will represent Scouts Canada's International Relations Committee. The Chief Scout, being near the end of her term, will not be able to attend. Ted will invite the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario and the local police chief.

Commemoration Event


Liam reported that 30 people have submitted on-line registrations and 17 of these have paid. The other cheques are expected to arrive soon.

Friday Reception

Al and Willard will arrange food for the Friday reception. There is a screen for the film in the Navy Hall. George R. will get a video projector. Ted will bring a laptop and a copy of the DVD. The SOSSI display will be setup in the Navy Hall. Following the reception, it must be moved to the Fort George reception building where it will be for Saturday. Volunteers will be needed to help move it.

Saturday Unveiling

Bill L. will talk with Ron Dale regarding chairs, stage, shelter for rain, and the plaque mount.

Ted suggested that, since the Chief Scout will not be present, the plaque be unveiled by two Scouts and that a Scout flag be used as the veil. Ted will investigate getting yellow neckers for the period uniform honour guard Scouts.

The details of the program will be settled once a there is a firm list of dignitaries.

A piper is available to pipe the dignitaries in and the Scout Brigade out.

Saturday Parade

The search is underway for a 1955 convertible car. The Scout Brigade has asked that the band be requested to play whatever 1812-era music they have in their repertoire.

Saturday Banquet

The committee discussed the program for the banquet. It was agreed having a variety of participants briefly share their memories would be interesting. There will be a few pre-arranged speakers followed by an open mike. Ted will make a special invite to the Japanese visitors.

The church requires three days notice of the final number of people who will be eating. A few tickets will be reserved for sale at the event for a cost of $40.

It was suggested that member of the media be invited to the banquet and be provided with a complementary ticket.

Tony has flags and memorabilia that can be used as decorations in the hall. To reduce the amount of work that has to be done on Saturday, arrangements will be made, if possible, to move the decorations into the hall on Friday morning.

Bill C. will investigate venues for the post-dinner gathering.


The meeting was adjourned at 21:15. The next meeting will be Tuesday, August 23, 2005.

—Minutes by Liam Morland.

Powered by PHP PostgreSQL Powered